Understanding the Risks of Low Testosterone in Men
Posted on September 18, 2023 by root
Testosterone, often referred to as the “male hormone,” plays a vital role in the development and proper functioning of the male body. However, when testosterone levels dip below the normal range, a condition known as low testosterone or male hypogonadism develops.
Fortunately, individuals dealing with this condition can find practical solutions with the guidance of medical experts like Dr. Justin Houman, a board-certified urologist based in Los Angeles.
Low testosterone is a condition characterized by insufficient testosterone production in the body. This hormone, produced by the testicles, is pivotal for male growth, development, and overall well-being.
Low testosterone manifests in primary or secondary hypogonadism, whether attributed to genetic factors or acquired later in life. Primary hypogonadism results from issues within the testicles themselves. In contrast, secondary hypogonadism stems from problems in the brain’s signaling mechanisms to the testicles.
Diagnosing low testosterone starts with a comprehensive assessment conducted by a skilled urologist. Dr. Justin Houman employs various tests to ascertain hormone levels, including blood tests and additional evaluations to rule out other potential causes of symptoms.
A normal testosterone range typically falls between 300-1000, and any deviation from this range necessitates further investigation.
Low testosterone can trigger many distressing symptoms that impact an individual’s physical and emotional well-being. These symptoms may include:
- Decreased libido
- Low energy levels
- Erectile dysfunction
- Reduced muscle mass and hair growth
- Gynecomastia (development of breast tissue)
- Bone loss
- Decreased fertility
In more severe cases, low testosterone can even lead to symptoms reminiscent of menopause, such as hot flashes and difficulties with concentration.
Addressing low testosterone involves an individualized approach, and Dr. Houman offers various treatment options tailored to patients’ specific needs:
- Nasal Gels (Natesto): Ideal for those concerned about fertility, this nasal testosterone treatment helps enhance testosterone levels while preserving reproductive capability.
- Pills (Jatenzo): A convenient option for those averse to injections, providing a steady testosterone release with twice-daily doses.
- Topical Gels: This easy-to-use gel is applied to the skin daily and suits individuals with moderate symptoms.
- Standard Injections: Intramuscular injections, such as Testosterone Cypionate or Testosterone Enanthate, offer a reliable testosterone supply and can be administered at home every 1 to 2 weeks.
- Microdosing: Suited for active individuals, this approach involves smaller, more frequent doses to maintain steady testosterone levels.
- Subcutaneous Pellets: A longer-lasting option involving minor in-office insertions of pellets under the skin, providing consistent testosterone levels over 3 to 4 months.
Low testosterone is a condition that can significantly impact a man’s quality of life. Still, it’s a challenge that is manageable with proper medical guidance. Dr. Justin Houman, an esteemed urologist based in Los Angeles, offers a range of treatment options to help patients regain vitality and well-being.
By addressing the underlying causes of low testosterone and tailoring treatments to individual needs, Dr. Houman’s expertise empowers men to overcome the challenges posed by this condition and enjoy life to the fullest.
If you suspect you may have low testosterone, don’t hesitate to reach out and schedule an appointment with Dr. Houman to explore your options and embark on a journey toward improved health and well-being.
Posted on behalf of Justin Houman MD